It is the first time in 38 years it is offered for sale, one of the last remaining 300 SL in unrestored and original condition. The most enthusiasts will be very sensible to its very early chassis number and “Sport” engine.
This amazing matching numbers 300 SL was built in late 1954 and delivered on January the 15th 1955 to Mister Webb from New York. It was ordered in white with red leather interior, 240 HP « Sport » engine ( higher lift camshaft, 9/1compression ratio and the RPM tachometer graduated until 8000, the rare Jaeger-Lecoultre chronograph and the very desirable luggages. It should be noted that only 40 example were fitted with the “Sport” engine.
Mister Webb shared his life between Paris and New York, decided to bring the car to France in the early 60s. He had the car repainted from white to its current “Grafiten Grau” in 1968 directly in Stuttgart at the Mercedes factory, the original invoice coming in the car’s file.
In 1973, it was purchased by its second owner from a Mercedes dealer, who kept it until 2011. The owner became an active member from the “Mercedes Club de France”, the “Gullwing International” and returned several times to the factory. This 300 SL was also confirmed by Mercedes to have been fitted new with the Sport engine and still retaining it.
The car made a remarkable appearance at the 1982 Le Mans 24 Hours, the owner was then asked by Mercedes to represent the 300SLR, during a retrospective parade with ancient Le Mans winners. In January 1995 it was the subject from an impressive 8 pages article in the famous French magazine “Automobiles Classiques” and in 2001 Sir Stirling Moss drove the car during 3 days in the “Pedras Del Rei” Rally in Portugal.
This outstanding car is still in original condition having never been restored and still wearing the paint applied at the Mercedes Factory in 1968. It has now a genuine 78 000 km on the clock and drives superbly with its strong and very powerful engine. In 2008 it did the trip from Porto to Paris in 36 hours running at 160km/h and was a great enjoyment for its driver.
This 1954 300SL is one of the very last example remaining in original condition.
It belongs to the same owner since 1973 and was last repainted by the Factory in Stuttgard in 1969.
During its almost 40 years of ownership, the last owner used it during prestigious events such as Le Mans demonstration and gave the wheel to Stirling Moss for a classic Rally.